Monday, June 20, 2005

Looking to the right...

You may notice that some new links have been added and, sadly, some have been removed. One that I took away became suddenly defunct, another I realized I wasn't reading as much.

A quick review of the links shows I'm neglecting the boys a bit, got lots of women and very few men. The people represented have two things in common - a great, if somewhat snarky, sense of humor and an ability to write well and evocatively about whatever they are writing about.

Another quick review shows a few interesting trends. Though I'm neither infertile nor an academic, I read a fair representation of infertility and academic blogs. Lots of interesting stuff going on in both those worlds and I'm so glad that those voices are out there.

I'm from a culturally Jewish background (never attended synagogue except for weddings and funerals, celebrate Hanukah and Passover but no real familial belief in God or organized religion). In taking the "What Religion Are You?" test, I came out as 100% Secular Humanist, 96% Unitarian Universalist. So it's somewhat of a surprise to note that amoung my links are people from every color on the religion rainbow. Do I always agree with everything everybody talks about on their blogs or the conclusions they come to? No, but I always identify with the process and admire the courage of taking a stand-- even if I disagree vehemantly with where that stand is.

In general, the bloggers I link to are politically to the left of center. Even more generally, the bloggers I link to are active in their communities whether on-line or IRL. I think we all are trying to leave the world better than when we found it, though some of us may have differing views on how we can do that and what it means.

4 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

My blogroll is also heavy on the academics and the infertiles. I used to be puzzled by the number of ministers on my blogroll, but I just took that quiz and discovered that I'm 100% Unitarian, 82% Mainline Liberal Protestant, and only 64% Reform Judaism. For pity's sake, don't tell my grandma. She'd plotz!

Liz Miller said...

My grandma is the daughter of a rabbi, she married my atheist grandfather and here I am: a secular humanist.

elswhere said...

I came out 100% Unitarian Universalist on that test! And only 70% Reform Jew, which is basically what I am in real life. A little discomfiting.

lucy tartan said...

My blog is about the same age as yours, Liz. It's a weird feeling when the day comes that some links need to be taken down, even if it's for a completely uncontroversial reason like the blog has suddenly ceased to exist.