Monday, September 12, 2005

I am a weinie.

Yesterday morning: 4:18. I am awakened by the sound of Muffin Man's bedroom door opening. I wait. He appears next to me. "Mommy? Can I sleep with you?" I was tired. I didn't want to wake up enough to take him back to bed. I let him crawl in with us.

This morning: 4:25. I am awakened by the sound of Muffin Man's bedroom door opening. I wait. He appears next to me. "Mommy? Can I sleep with you?". This time, I am slightly more alert. I do not want this to be a nightly occurance. I say no.
"But I want you to sleep with me!" I bring him back to bed. He asks me again to sleep with him. I am too tired to get into a big thing with him. I bring blankets and pillows into his room and sleep on the floor next to his bed. He is in his own bed. A slight improvement, but still, not what I am aiming for. He cries in his sleep around 5:30, an obvious nightmare. I shush him and he seems comforted, he stops calling out. I am glad at that moment that I'm in his room, but still, it's not what I am aiming for.

What am I aiming for? I want what we had before our trip to Tampa. Him in his bed, me in mine and everybody sleeping all the way through the night. If there is another 4 AM visit tomorrow morning, I hope I will be able to wake up enough to move toward my goal.

11 comments:

Sheryl said...

I hear ya. Our 4 (almost 5!) year old climbs into bed with us regularly. I need to get her to stay in her own bed, but when she comes in I'm just so darn tiiiired

halloweenlover said...

He is too cute to resist! I can't believe you slept on the floor though, you are such a loving mom!

liz said...

It was less trouble than moving the guest mattress in there. And I didn't make it big enough for him to snuggle in with me.

Fuzzball said...

My little sis did this with my parents, and the doctor told them to let her sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed. It seemed to work out for her, they made a little pallet for her and she conked out. She just wanted to be near them I guess. I went through the same thing but to a much lesser extent. Then again, I used to have night terrors and sleepwalk, so I can't really talk. My poor parents went through so many babysitter, you just don't know. ;)

moxiemomma said...

i hear the floor bed thing works too. i have friends who keep sleeping bags rolled up under their bed for just such a thing. i'm sure he'll be fine once he readjusts. traveling with kids can be so hard!

and thanks for the input on my site. videos are a thing of the past. :)

liz said...

Thanks Moxie! You're being added to the roll right now!

moxiemomma said...

:)

ccw said...

Oh I feel your pain. I cannot sleep with kids in the bed. I just lie there and toss in and out of sleep. Or rather I am smooshed to death.

I hope this resolves itself soon.

Jennifer (undertheponderosa) said...

Must be the change of seasons. Last 2 nights my son asked to sleep with us, too -- just about 3am, I think. He hasn't asked to do that for a year. I'm so torn on what to do. Because it's unusual I figure he must need us, but -- I need some sleep!

Hope it goes well for you the next few nights.

Yankee T said...

Here's to a return to "normal" sleeping soon!

Julie said...

It is SO hard not to be a weinie at 4 am. I feel for ya!