Monday, August 25, 2008

Cooking from the garden - making it up as I go along edition

Today's experiment: Boneless Leg o' Australian Lamb in the Slow Cooker.

Ingredients from the garden: Mint and Parsley

Other ingredients include:
A 5.5 lb boneless leg o' lamb (including juices from the packaging)
6 cloves of garlic
1 can sliced carrots
1 cup wine
3 cups water
1 pkg onion soup mix (what's a slow cooker recipe without onion soup mix?)*
Olive oil

I put the olive oil in my largest skillet and heated it up. I took the Leg o' Lamb out of its package, poured the juices into the slow cooker and put the LOL into the skillet to brown on one side for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, I rinsed the mint and parsley and began taking their leaves off their stems and putting them into the chopper attachment for my stick blender (mine is older than this and didn't come with a whisk).
Then I turned the meat over to brown on the other side for another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, I added the garlic to the chopper attachment and pulverized the garlic, mint, and parsley into a lovely aromatic mash which I scraped into the slow cooker. I added 3 cups of water and one of wine. I added the package of onion soup mix. I stirred. Added the carrots. Stirred.

I brought the slow cooker pot over to the stove and placed the meat lovingly therein.

I scraped all the brown yummy bits off the bottom of the pan and added them to the mix.

Put the pot back into the slow cooker base. Covered. Set to low.

I don't know how it's gonna turn out, but it sure smells delicious.



*I didn't add any salt since the soup mix is waaaaaay salty.

1 comment:

kathy a. said...

that sounds good! especially with the fresh herbs and garlic.

now i have a serious case of envy for your stick blender.