My husband, formerly known as "My Husband" is henceforth in this blog to be known as "Mr. Spock". It was his choice. He wanted that or "Professor Fate". I told him that he only gets to be known as "Professor Fate" if he starts teaching at a University. He's looking into it.
Mr. Spock is presently tucking Muffin Man into bed. We take turns. No matter who does the tucking, however, it's always the same routine:
1. Non-tucking-in parent gives him a sippy cup of milk (he doesn't always want it, but it avoids a delaying tactic) and hugs and kisses. Leaves, closing door.
2. Music on. (usually a classical CD, occasionally traditional lullabys)
3. Clothes and pull-up off (he can do this by himself! but he doesn't always.)
4. Diaper on. (It's easier to put on if he's lying down.)
5. PJ's on. (Again, he can do this himself!)
6. Brush teeth.
7. Read story. Tonight, my bet was on Yertle the Turtle, since it arrived in an Amazon shipment yesterday, but Mr. Spock says it was One Fish, Two Fish.
8. Lights out.
9. Good Night Moon and The Going to Bed Book (both from memory) and a list of people who love him.
10. In bed, pat his back for a couple of minutes.
12. Blow kisses from door.
The whole routine takes about a half-hour. We try to stick to it even when we're travelling. Maybe especially when we're travelling. Muffin Man is much less likely to have new place jitters if everything else is the same.
I love doing the tucking-in, but I also love these nights when I have this half-hour to myself. Tonight, I'm sharing it with you.
Through My Glasses, Dorkily
6 years ago