Thursday, April 06, 2006

As seen at Phantom Scribbler's - the Women Writers Meme

Instructions: Bold the ones you've read. Italicize the ones you've been wanting/might like to read. ??Place question marks by any titles/authors you've never heard of?? Plus I'm adding this, as Turtlebella noted that the choice of books by each author is a mite idiosyncratic: put an asterisk if you've read something else by the same author.

Allcott, Louisa May–Little Women (Have any of you read "Work"? Waaaay ahead of its time.)
Allende, Isabel–The House of Spirits
Angelou, Maya–I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

*Atwood, Margaret–Cat's Eye
Austen, Jane–Emma (and everything else she ever wrote)
Bambara, Toni Cade–Salt Eaters??
Barnes, Djuna–Nightwoodde ??
Beauvoir, Simone–The Second Sex
Blume, Judy–Are You There God? It's Me Margaret (I don't think they should have taken out the belts, either.)
Burnett, Frances–The Secret Garden (And everything else I could get my hands on. I agree with PS, those potatoes sounded delish.)
Bronte, Charlotte–Jane Eyre
Bronte, Emily–Wuthering Heights

Buck, Pearl S.–The Good Earth
Byatt, A.S.–Possession
Cather, Willa–My Antonia
Chopin, Kate–The Awakening
Christie, Agatha–Murder on the Orient Express (and everything else she wrote.)
*Cisneros, Sandra–The House on Mango Street
Clinton, Hillary Rodham–Living History
Cooper, Anna Julia–A Voice From the South??
Danticat, Edwidge–Breath, Eyes, Memory??
Davis, Angela–Women, Culture, and Politics
Desai, Anita–Clear Light of Day??
Dickinson, Emily–Collected Poems (a few of them anyway.)
Duncan, Lois–I Know What You Did Last Summer
DuMaurier, Daphne–Rebecca ("I dreamed last night I went to Manderly again...")
*Eliot, George–Middlemarch
Emecheta, Buchi–Second Class Citizen??
Erdrich, Louise–Tracks
Esquivel, Laura–Like Water for Chocolate
Flagg, Fannie–Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Friedan, Betty–The Feminine Mystique
Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl (and it still haunts me)
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins–The Yellow Wallpaper
Gordimer, Nadine–July's People
*Grafton, Sue–S is for Silence (why this one and not the best of the series, "G is for Gumshoe"?)
Hamilton, Edith–Mythology
*Highsmith, Patricia–The Talented Mr. Ripley (I think she either ties or wins for most books or stories made into a movie by Hitchcock. I think she has 3, DuMaurier had 2)
hooks, bell–Bone Black
*Hurston, Zora Neale–Dust Tracks on the Road
Jacobs, Harriet–Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl??
Jackson, Helen Hunt–Ramona??
Jackson, Shirley–The Haunting of Hill House
Jong, Erica–Fear of Flying
*Keene, Carolyn–The Nancy Drew Mysteries (any of them)
Kidd, Sue Monk–The Secret Life of Bees
*Kincaid, Jamaica–Lucy
Kingsolver, Barbara–The Poisonwood Bible
Kingston, Maxine Hong–The Woman Warrior
Larsen, Nella–Passing??
L'Engle, Madeleine–A Wrinkle in Time
*Le Guin, Ursula K.–The Left Hand of Darkness
Lee, Harper–To Kill a Mockingbird
*Lessing, Doris–The Golden Notebook
Lively, Penelope–Moon Tiger??
Lorde, Audre–The Cancer Journals??
Martin, Ann M.–The Babysitters Club Series (any of them)
McCullers, Carson–The Member of the Wedding
*McMillan, Terry–Disappearing Acts
Markandaya, Kamala–Nectar in a Sieve??
Marshall, Paule–Brown Girl, Brownstones
Mitchell, Margaret–Gone with the Wind
Montgomery, Lucy Maud–Anne of Green Gables (and, once again, all her other books and stories that I could get my hands on.)
Morgan, Joan–When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost??
Morrison, Toni–Song of Solomon
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu–The Tale of Genji??
Munro, Alice–Lives of Girls and Women
Murdoch, Iris–Severed Head
Naylor, Gloria–Mama Day
Niffenegger, Audrey–The Time Traveller's Wife
*Oates, Joyce Carol–We Were the Mulvaneys
*O'Connor, Flannery–A Good Man is Hard to Find
*Piercy, Marge–Woman on the Edge of Time
Picoult, Jodi–My Sister's Keeper?
Plath, Sylvia–The Bell Jar
Porter, Katharine Anne–Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie–The Shipping News
Rand, Ayn–The Fountainhead
Ray, Rachel–365: No Repeats (Again, agreeing with PS here. Rombauer yes, Ray no.)
Rhys, Jean–Wide Sargasso Sea
Robinson, Marilynne–Housekeeping??
Rocha, Sharon–For Laci??
Sebold, Alice–The Lovely Bones
Shelley, Mary–Frankenstein (Kind of. I got 3 chapters in and had to give it up. Dull. Dull. Dull.)
Smith, Betty–A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Smith, Zadie–White Teeth??
Spark, Muriel–The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Spyri, Johanna–Heidi
Strout, Elizabeth–Amy and Isabelle??
*Steel, Danielle–The House
Tan, Amy–The Joy Luck Club
Tannen, Deborah–You're Wearing That
Ulrich, Laurel–A Midwife's Tale (Mark me down as another fan)
Urquhart, Jane–Away??
*Walker, Alice–The Temple of My Familiar
*Welty, Eudora–One Writer's Beginnings
Wharton, Edith–Age of Innocence (parts of the movie were filmed at my mom and stepdad's friend's house)
Wilder, Laura Ingalls–Little House in the Big Woods (and the rest and the cookbook. I even cooked the goose for Christmas the year I was 10)
Wollstonecraft, Mary–A Vindication of the Rights of Women
*Woolf, Virginia–A Room of One's Own

There are an awful lot of authors that could be on this list, and aren't. Such as Georgette Heyer, Dorothy L. Sayers, Josephine Tey...and those are just the 1930's British Mystery Writers!

Who do you think is the most glaring admission?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lordy, please go read Mockingbird and GWTW and get yo'self a fix of southern culture. In return, please tell me which of these I should read that I haven't: Yellow Wallpaper or Midwife's Tale??

this is a great meme.

Anonymous said...

I think the most glaring omissions are Astrid Lindgren, Harriett Beecher Stowe, and E.L. Konigsburg.

Oh, yes, Liz, read Mockingbird -- you will absolutely love it! And you recommended a good Southern mystery writer to me, Margaret Maron.

Like you, I've read all of Agatha Christie (including her autobiography) and all of L.M. Montgomery (including some of her journals).

I put a huuuuge list of others on Phantom's site.

Liz Miller said...

I'll read "Mockingbird" as soon as I can. GWTW's gonna have to wait until I'm out of school.

Anne, The Yellow Wallpaper's really short. Midwife is much longer, but shorter than GWTW.

And Genevieve, you're right about those oversights! Isn't Maron great? And I love Konigsburg.

Anonymous said...

Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl (and it still haunts me)

I have been to the Frank house. Talk about haunting ... It hit me right in the pit of my stomach.

Anonymous said...

the lovely bones.. i love that book :)..

Liz Miller said...

Welcome guile!