Friday, May 26, 2006

Countdown

In 15 minutes, I am leaving to pick up Muffin Man from Posh New Place. Today was a big day for him. He had his very first dentist appointment (and did very well, cooperative and no cavities) and his first full day of Pre-K.

This weekend he and I are on our own. Mr. Spock is out of town shmoozing with a friend. They will both come back here Monday afternoon so that Muffin Man and I will also have a chance to schmooze with said friend. This is important because soon our friend is moving to Canada to live with his new bride, also a friend (and frequent commenter, Hi Jenn!). She lives about as far away as you can get and still be on the same continent.

But the point is that MM and I are going to be on our own. The communtity pool is open this weekend, and it's going to be in the 80's, so we're probably going to spend quite a bit of time splashing about. We're going to bake those brownies I've been wanting to try and we're going to maybe eat a strawberry if it gets ripe enough.

We'll probably color and play with Tt(F)TE and almost certainly watch some movies. And I will try to focus on him and not get too irritable when he tries to weasel out of having some quiet time in the middle of the day.

And I will give him a book that I made for him today. A book that he just might be able to read all by himself. Maybe. Because I used words I know he can recognize even though he's not really reading yet.

So I'm going into the forest of short-term single parenthood. Don't send out a search party if you don't hear from me until Monday. I'll be back!

5 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

You're such a great mom, Liz. I aspire to be more like you.

Have a good weekend!

purple_kangaroo said...

I hope you have a great weekend!

jenn said...

She lives about as far away as you can get and still be on the same continent.

Oh pish, posh... ALASKA! Now THAT is far away from you. And I'm at least a few hours close to you than that.


*sigh* I am envious of the husband having a visit. Miss you guys!
xoxo
jenn

Liz Miller said...

True. And I could be living in Florida, but the point is that you live a long-ass way away.

I mean it's far.

Anonymous said...

So cool, with the book! I did one of those for J. when he was first starting to recognize words, and it was really fun for him to have a whole book he could read himself (with a little help). (He didn't get the coolness of it at first, and I was disappointed, but later he did.)

What kinds of words were in yours?
Mine had some Metro-specific phrases: "Please do not lean on doors." and went from there to a couple of other words he knew: "Please do not lean on cats. Please do not lean on cans. Please do not lean on [J's name]."