Sunday, August 05, 2007

Grandpa Professor Emeritus 1910-2007

He died tonight.

Home from the hospital on Wednesday, with his children around him. He was laughing and joking this morning but was very clear that he was ready to go.

It seems we were right to joke that his strong will to live was what kept him here through heart attacks and cancer, through diabetes and infections. When he said he was ready to go, he meant it. He let go.

He used to skip with me down the street and this last time we saw him he sang the silly song to Muffin Man that he used to sing with me when we skipped.

He was a Physics professor. I've seen a film of him teaching - completely incomprehensible to me, but MS said it was a good lesson. I'm looking right now at two books he gave to MS, "Mathematical Methods of Physics" and "Fundamentals of Mathematical Physics".

What is my grandma going to do? She was married to him for almost 50 years.

This is a very incoherent post. I'm happy for him and for my mother that the next few weeks aren't going to happen as we'd all thought they would. But sad he's gone and sad for my grandmother in particular.
...

Just talked to my sister. She just saw him this morning and then drove six hours to get home. She said he said that he expected the morphine to make him feel muddled, but he felt clear as a bell. He told stories of his father for an hour. His nurse said, "Morphine couldn't make him muddled. Not him."

And that's it. That's the essence of who he was. He held himself together.

21 comments:

-R- said...

I'm really sorry. This is really a nice tribute.

Heather said...

(hugs) I'm so sorry for your loss - your family and your grandmother will be in my prayers. What a blessing he was to your family - and how missed he will be! But, he will always be with ya'll in your hearts.

S. said...

He gave you one last gift in dying so well and leaving you with so few regrets about the end.

But oh, you miss him still.

Hugs and sympathy.

Jody said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mummy/Crit said...

Sorry to hear about this. You write about him so beautifully, it's clear how much you respect and love him. Take care.

Anonymous said...

With over 90 years' difference between them, who could ever forget my five-year-old son and his great-grandpa, on their feet, holding hands, singing and dancing together?

I never will.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss.

Magpie said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so so sorry, Liz.

What is wonderful is that he got to know MM and spend time with him, and MM will always have those memories.

Many hugs to all of you.

Yankee T said...

((Liz))

Phantom Scribbler said...

Thinking about you and your whole family, Liz. Hugs.

ccw said...

A beautiful post. So sorry for your loss.

(((liz)))

Scrivener said...

Oh, Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Big hugs, sweetie.

AAYOR said...

Sending many hugs, Liz.

Jim said...

I'm really sorry, Liz.

*hugs*

Sue said...

I'm so sorry Liz.

Ann said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad he went quickly when he decided it was time. He sounds like he was a wonderful man and I'm sure you'll have lots of great memories of him to comfort you.

allison said...

I wanted to add my condolences to all the others. Your grandpa sounded like a wonderful person. I know you and your family will miss him very much.

Antropóloga said...

My condolences. Good way to go though.

Anonymous said...

So sorry, Liz. All my sympathy!