Friday, January 11, 2008

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

It's National De-lurking Day!!!!

Hi! Pleased to meetcha! How are you?

Sorry that this post is so short, but MM woke up today with a fever and was home all day with his dad while I was at work, so I just got done with packing a full day of mommy cuddles in before bedtime.

Books I'm reading: Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea and Grave Surprise both of which I recommend. However, read Aunt Dimity's Death before Deep Blue Sea and read Grave Sight before Grave Surprise.

What I'm knitting: A loooooong scarf in Lion Brand Homespun yarn (the color is 313 Ebony, which I think has been discontinued). This is a very soft and luscious acrylic yarn (only $4.69/skein) that I bought to fill out another project which ended up not happening and became something else. I think I may add a hood to the scarf I'm knitting, because the place I switched skeins is looking nasty and I don't think I can fix it happily. I started the scarf last week, and have knitted it steadily on the bus.

What I'm doing at work: Mostly admin stuff, word processing, and data entry. It's fun but mostly because it's only for a month. While I really like the people and the working itself, I don't want to work in the tech world anymore. The endless quest for quantifying and qualifying processes and metrics (but not really believing in them) wears me out. I just don't have the patience for paying lip service to processes no one follows and that the customer thinks is stupid and that upper management don't buy into.

Not that that's necessarily the case in this instance, but I can spot the signs and I'm glad to be leaving before the disillusionment sets in.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I'm not really a lurker, but I don't comment here as much as I could.

...I'm glad to be leaving before the disillusionment sets in.

You mean you can leave a job before the disillusionment sets in? Why didn't I think of that? (/forehead slapping)

-R- said...

Hello! I hope the little guy feels better!

elswhere said...

Sorry to have missed de-lurking day!

I'm glad you won't have to stay at this job past where you want to.