Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fat is the new Colored

http://www.junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/

Mississippi Representatives Mayhall, Read, and Shows are on my list of people who need to have a session with the cluestick posse.

I sent an email to Mr. Mayhall with these facts:

According to the Mississippi Development Authority’s press release from May of last year, tourism brings in 5.75 billion annually to Mississippi.

Mississippi does not have a ban on smoking in restaurants (some localities do, but not the state as a whole).

I am ashamed to be living in the same country with elected officials who would think this kind of discriminatory bullshit is okay.

7 comments:

CrookedPigtails said...

I'm sending an email as well. Thanks for the info, Liz.

Antropóloga said...

Holy shit, wow.

Lizzy said...

I didn't know they could do that!!

kathy a. said...

how do people even come up with this kind of crap? i can't imagine that any court would find it constitutional.

and really, they expect minimum wage workers to diagnose obesity in incoming customers? what if someone waddles in and claims to be pregnant -- would the server need to diagnose that, too? how?

KLee said...

I've been saying for years that "fat" is the last still-accepted prejudice. Sadly, I can't say that I'm surprised that someone has proposed such a bill.

I would send an email, but he'd probably think that I'm too fat to think lucid thought, too.

kathy a. said...

there isn't a "good ole boy" exemption right there on paper, but you can bet it would exist if this spitwad ever became a law.

molly ivins wrote regularly about the high entertainment factor in journalistically reporting the workings of a state legislature. she'd have had a field day with this one!

klee, go ahead and write if you are moved to do so. outta-state persons are always discounted, but there are dozens of ways this proposed law makes the MS smartypants health-'n-beauty brigade look foolish. and they could do with a makeup assignment on the freaking constitution, too.

purple_kangaroo said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

Wrong on so, so many levels.