Saturday, January 12, 2008

Random bullets of an uneventful Saturday

  • The scarf part of the scarf-hood combo is done. It's about 6' long. I knit it all in a bit over a week. Now I just need to work on the hood. I'm debating what technique to use. Pick up stitches off the long side where my ugly bit is and knit from there or knit it separately and attach it later? I'm leaning towards picking up stitches.
  • Also, I found some skirt patterns that look like they might work and I'm taking your points to heart!!!
  • MM's fever is yo-yo'ing (highest since yesterday is 100.4), but he's in a great mood, so I'm not worrying too much about it. If his mood changes or the fever's still with us on Monday, we're heading off to the doctor.
  • I bought meat and veggies to roast slowly tomorrow. I'm looking forward to eating them tomorrow night.
  • Also, we bought a crusty loaf of bread. Out of which I plan to make french toast for MM. Here's my latest recipe for excellent french toast!

Secret Ingredient French Toast

4 large thickly-sliced slices of crusty bread, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 to 2 tablespoons of cinnemon and sugar mixed together, 1 to 2 tablespoons of applesauce (shhhh...MM hates applesauce) and a pinch of salt. Beat together everything but the bread and then soak the bread in the mixture while the heavy cast-iron skillet is heating up and some butter or butter-substitute is melting in it.

Fry the battered bread for about 2 to 3 minutes a side or until the french toast is, as Alton Brown says, "golden brown and delicious".

If you're serving it to MM, you will be a hero if you cut the french toast into "sticks", the better for dipping in the (real! Vermont!) maple syrup. MM has declared this to be the best french toast in the entire world. And he doesn't know that the secret ingredient is in there. In the winter time, I get as many fruits and veggies into that boy as I can. And he likes most of them. This is the only thing I actually use stealth tactics for. Though I may start adding shredded carrots to my spaghetti sauce.

5 comments:

purple_kangaroo said...

Carrots are good in spaghetti squash. So is celery. I've even put leafy green vegetables and all sorts of other stuff in there. If you chop them small enough they just add a nice flavor without taking over.

I'd also lean toward picking up the stitches, but then I hate the first row the most whenever I crochet something, so I try to add on to existing stuff whenever I can. :)

Betsy said...

I gleefully add shredded carrots, zucchini *and* parsnips to my spaghetti sauce on a regular basis.

Although I must admit it's been less fun since the kids figured it out and decided they *like* it that way...!

purple_kangaroo said...

Um, I did mean to say sauce, not squash. Although spaghetti sauce is good over spaghetti squash, too. I hope MM is feeling better.

Gary said...

My wife and kids think that I make the best French Toast in the world, so somebody's got to be wrong. Maybe we should have an Iron Chef French Toast competition. My not-so-secret ingredients: Mexican vanilla in the milk-egg mixture and sourdough bread. Tastes great with real maple syrup, but even better with raspberry syrup.

Liz Miller said...

Oooh! Vanilla! That would make it even BETTER!