Friday, January 25, 2008

St. Quiz the Obscure

Since y'all got all eight of the books last time, here's a few I don't think you'll get as easily*:

  1. "Molly-child, now supper's done, go fetch Neighbor Dixon's horse."
  2. It is very difficult to look as if you minded the death of a grandfather who, though you may have spent your holidays in his house, seldom remembered you did.
  3. The Zoo Man came riding into Four Corners on a coal black wagon pulled by a coal black mule.
  4. It was Patrick Gilligan in his hansom cab who took Lucinda around from the old Gedney House to the Misses Peters' apartment, two flights up.
  5. I got off to a bad start at Bat Masterson Junior High School.
  6. Mrs. Eva Marie Olinski always gave good answers.
  7. Spring had come and once more the young beech trees beside the rushing Illerbach were a tender green.

*same rules as last time except that some of these books came out more recently than 30 years ago.

10 comments:

-R- said...

I know exactly zero of those.

Liz Miller said...

Hmmm...Maybe this is St. Quiz the too obscure. I'll have to come up with a Happy Medium.

Angie said...

1. Indian Captive
2. don't know
3. don't know
4. Roller Skates
5. don't know
6. The View From Saturday
7. don't know

wow that was hard!

Magpie said...

Stumped.

I was stumped by most of the first one too.

Liz Miller said...

Angie! You rule!

purple_kangaroo said...

1. I recognized it, but couldn't quite place it until I saw Angie's comment.

2. I was thinking one of the Narnia series, but it's not.

I haven't read any of these except the first. Now I totally want to do a quiz like this on my blog. Probably tomorrow.

purple_kangaroo said...

Oh, and I really want to find Streatfield's shoes books for my girls to read, one of these days. Well, I want to read them too. :)

elswhere said...

I only know #4, but I know and love that one well!

Liz Miller said...

Elswhere, I'm shocked that you didn't know number 6!

Anonymous said...

#7 is Cornelli, Her Childhood, by Spyri