Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Bullets of I love reading to MM

  • He always asks questions that Rowling answers in the very next sentence.

  • He really pays attention and anticipates what might happen next.

  • He loves when I use different voices for different characters and thinks my Professor Trelawney is spot-on.

  • Some words he has asked the meaning of: smirk, sneer, vaguely, tatty, briefcase, shabby, disdain, disgust, loathing, mutter, vulture, orb... (Extra credit, class! What chapter did we read last night?)

  • He got really excited when he realized that the creature on the cover was a hippogryph.

  • He loves to discuss with me the proper pronounciation of the magic words. Here's an excerpt of an actual conversation we had last night:


"I think they're short "u"s, Mom, because there's no silent E
or other helping vowel. See? It's CVC!"*


"But I think it's a long u followed by a short u, because it's
CVCVC! So the second u makes the first u say its name."



  • Sometimes he asks me to point to what I just read and then reads it again himself, trying to use my inflections.

  • He knows I know he could read the books himself**, "But you read faster than I do and besides, I don't know what all the words mean and I like when I can ask you."

*The stuff he's learning in first grade is awesome. He has to divide his spelling words up into categories: CVC (consonant/vowel/consonant), CVCe (consonant/vowel/consonant/silent e), CVVC (consonant/vowel/vowel/consonant), and Oddball. On his spelling tests, he has to mark the long and short vowel sounds. I NEVER had to do this. He's also doing sentence corrections. I don't remember doing that in school, either. With my dad at his job, yes. At school, no.


**He's reading the latest Magic Treehouse book for independent reading at school.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so so so cool!! LOVE this kind of thing about reading to kids, and especially when they ask such smart questions! MM is awesome.

Hmm, which chapter . . . the one with Prof. Lupin teaching the class about boggarts?

Liz Miller said...

DingDingDing!!!! Genevieve (honey, you REALLY need to get yourself a blog!) wins it!!! Your prize is...A Yes We Did sticker next time I see you.

Mummy/Crit said...

Wow, his school language stuff sounds awesome. D doesn't do any of that kind of thing in grade 2 here, he knows about vowels and consonants though, and I caught him reading James and the Giant Peach to himself last night jsut before I came in to read it to him!

Anonymous said...

Yay, I would love a Yes We Did sticker!

jenn said...

How can he be reading, he is 2 years old.

Right?

He's two... or maybe MAYBE three. Okay, three and a half.


Please sneak a kiss in on his little wonderful face for me, m'kay?