Thursday, February 12, 2009

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

The wind is whipping around our neck of the woods, pounding our house, and threatening the stability of the Thursday recycling piles.

At work, I'm hearing periodic beeps from the UPS systems and the lights are flickering. The newspaper reports downed trees blocking roads. I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being a major power outage at some point.

Days like today, I feel impatient with our 100-year-old grid. I want to rip off the roof of my house and re-do it with solar shingles. I want to insulate the crap out of the whole damned house. I want power lines to go the way of the dodo and never ever come back.

4 comments:

Lizzy said...

I feel you! My lights have been flickering too. But if the power goes out here, it will come back on soon because we are on the same grid and a fire station.

My house power didn't go out last night, but my bosses did.

And my hair looks so bad. :(

Madeleine said...

Water in the basement.

Add "upgrade all storm sewers" to your list.

We have Thursday recycling too, but the city issued gigantic wheeled bins, which seem to do OK in the wind.

ccw said...

Every time this happens my mom starts her proclamation of wanting her own generator, solar power, wind mill, anything. So far she has yet to implement any of these desires in to action but I'm happy that she is thinking in this direction.

She is currently without power so I assume I will hear all about it once she has her phone back.

Magpie said...

It's so crazy that they don't routinely bury power lines. Nutso crazy. Penny-wise, pound-foolish, I'd bet too.