Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mourning things I'm not taking with me

  • The latest edition of the Hubin Comprehensive Bibliography of Crime Fiction (1749-1990).
  • Many many many first editions of crime fiction (storing them in the basement here, though. If we can't rent the house without clearing out the basement, I'll have to sell them.)
  • The 5-disc CD player I won from a radio station (nearly 20 years ago).
  • The big bag o' cotton yarn that never became the baby sweaters I envisioned.
And the list goes on. Items that represent things I did and things I wanted to do...and I'm giving them away or storing them waiting to sell them or, in the case of my favorite pair of boots, throwing them away because they are beyond repair.

Sigh.

7 comments:

jenn said...

Stuff is hard. Moving and sorting is hard. Things are hard.

Moving into this place really made me get serious about boxes of things I kept lugging about with me from house to house. I wasn't about to just store them all.. but I certainly stored some of them!

susan said...

moving is hard--I hope you enjoy your new place, and come to find a bit of freedom with less stuff coming along with you. But it's all hard.

Mummy/Crit said...

I hear you. If we can, we're building a basement for this house (they're unusual here) but perhaps the real solution is to clean up and chuck stuff out...

Anonymous said...

Oh, oww. That would be hard.

I hope you're getting lots of appreciation for this.

Anonymous said...

Andrea: She is. She surely is.

MS

kathy a. said...

but, but -- what if you need the bibliography? i am really bad about the sorting and tossing.

wishing you good luck with the move!

Sue said...

I know it's a tough process - we just moved and tossed or gave away a LOT of stuff. It's difficult at the time, but for us at least, it was ultimately quite liberating.

The added bonus is that our grown sons are pleased that they won't have so much stuff to go through after we're both dead and gone. Ya, I was touched by that particular sentiment too...