Tuesday, February 09, 2010

On reading "The Long Winter" during what may end up being the snowiest winter this area has ever seen

It makes me grateful for heat, and light, and grocery stores, and baking bread with yeast and white flour.

Grateful for having a full freezer, knowing that even if we run out of milk or bread or other staples during the storm, that once the storm has ended and we've dug out of our garage, we can find a store somewhere nearby that will have more milk or bread or other staples.

MM was disappointed about the postponement (again!) of his party, but cheered up over the baking of bread (Little House on the Prairie Cookbook), and cake (Joy of Cooking - I overbeat it and it came out dry and crumbly), and cookies (with M&M's, too sweet for Mr. Spock and me, but MM loves 'em). Also, Mr. Spock gave MM his first cooking lesson. He cooked, all by himself (though with supervision), perfect fluffy rice. And we spent some time outside, being shocked by the amount of snow.


So, in short, I'm feeling pretty privileged, and lucky, and grateful. We have just two more chapters to go in HP 7. I hope I can get MM to agree to let me start reading "Farmer Boy" to him.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Might I also suggest Into The Forest?

And you know, it is boggling to see all that snow. We have had none. NONE. In Canada. NONE! In fact, next week on our vacation we're going to take a trip up the ski hill so Malcolm can have his first sled ride. We are bare ground and have not used our shovel.

Liz Miller said...

Thanks!

I have a hard time with the climate change deniers, telling me that global warming is a farce because our area is getting more snow than usual. Don't they know that this extra moisture is coming to us from the melting ice caps?

Gah!!!

kathy a. said...

gah, indeed.

nice bread!

Unknown said...

I'm grateful, even without snow, that I'm not twisting straw into "logs" for the woodstove. (Love that book.)

jo(e) said...

Oh, that book is great for putting things in perspective! I love the part when Almanzo and Cap go after the wheat ....

Mummy/Crit said...

That is a lot of snow. I can only imagine how it must be living with that.