Friday, May 07, 2010

The Amazon.com meme

My first order with Amazon.com was placed May 10, 1999. I ordered $102.39 worth of books and cds. Just enough to qualify for free shipping.

In the order was:
  • Field of Thirteen by Dick Francis (Hardcover)
  • Pete Seeger's Children's Concert at Town Hall
  • Steeleye Span's All Around My Hat
  • 4 non-Narnia C.S. Lewis books
  • The Kinks Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-go-Round
  • and Flower Fairies by Louisa May Alcott.

Links will be added later.

It's funny, I didn't remember that these things were in that first order. I still have them all, of course, but I didn't remember that that's when and how I got them. What I DID remember about that order was the bookmark that came with it.

It was a plain cardstock bookmark with a quote from Mark Twain. You know the one:

"Outside a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."

3 comments:

Magpie said...

Funny. I went and looked - my first orders were just before Christmas in 1998 - so most of the things were Christmas presents.

I do still have, and love, The McGarrigle Hour.

Sarah at ratatat said...

I think Amazon is messing with us. With my first order, Amazon won my heart with a mousepad, with the quote "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
I still have the mousepad. I wonder if they realize the loyalty it created... Now I have to see if I can look up my first order.

Liz Miller said...

Since I no longer have the bookmark, I can not swear it was Mark Twain. I just remember it that way.