Tuesday, December 27, 2005

That's my boy

The day before Christmas we went over to Uncle-He's-Younger-Than-Mr-Spock and Aunt-She's-Two-Years-Older-Than-Me's house to celebrate and shmooze. Muffin Man had a good time playing with his cousins (really, my cousins but they're 8 (adopted daughter of different aunt and uncle), 7, 5 and 3) and their cousins (5, 3, and 10 months)

Sometime during the afternoon, TellsDonaldDuckStories, Uncle-He's-Younger-Than-Mr-Spock, 7-year-old cousin, Aunt-She's-Two-Years-Older-Than-Me's brother and brother in law all started up a touch football game. Muffin Man watched for a while and then joined in, the only one of the three three-year-old boys to want to play with the "Big Boys".

The first time Muffin Man got pushed down, he ran crying to me. I asked him if he was hurt, he answered "No, but they PUSHED me!!!"

"You're playing football, sweetie. Pushing is okay in football. It's not okay other times, but it's okay in football." He stopped crying immediately, hopped off my lap and went back into the game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The day AFTER Christmas, we went to pick out a big boy bed for him (a gift from my MIL). He looked at all the choices and ran straight to a dark walnut sleigh bed. "I like THIS one!" He shouted. "IT'S PINK!!!!" And indeed, it had a pink comforter and pink pillows shaped like hearts.

Unfortunately, it did not have extra storage underneath or in the headboard, which is something I'd like him to have. So Mr. Spock looked at the other choices and we tried to guide Muffin Man over to a more practical choice. "NO! I want the PINK ONE!!!"

Suddenly, I had a flash of inspiration. I pulled the pink comforter and pillows off the sleigh bed and put them on the captain's bed. "What do you think, now? Do you like this one?"

"Yes! This one! This one!"

So my little manly football player is going to have a little manly captain's bed with cubbies and drawers and pink sheets with pink heart-shaped pillows.

That's my boy.

5 comments:

Running2Ks said...

I love him. He is such an independent man. I remember choosing a bed based on the bedding too.

MM is a great little man :)

halloweenlover said...

He is too cute, and you are BRILLIANT for pulling the pink sheets over.

Congrats on the big boy bed to MM!!!

Anonymous said...

Terrific thinking!!

purple_kangaroo said...

Good job, Mom!

Certain relatives of ours, who will remain unnamed, seem to think pushing, throwing things at people and hitting are acceptable masculine behaviors, rather cute in small boys (particularly their son).

When it became obvious that his behavior was bothering us (i.e. DH and I had both gotten after him several times for being physically aggressive with our kids), his dad pulled him aside and said, "You don't hit girls, okay?"

But it's ok to hit boys. Apparently when the cousin who'se a boy about his age is over, they spend most of the visit clobbering each other.

Suburban Turmoil said...

That is the funniest kid story I've heard in a lonnng time!