Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Uncle-Tandem-Bicycle

I have so many aunts and uncles that I'd insult about 20 people if I said that one or the other was my favorite, but just between you and me, Uncle-Tandem-Bicycle is my favorite.

He's the one who gave gift certificates for Haagen Daz for all occasions. He's the one who had great toys and would get down on the floor with me and play. He's the one who biked across country, through Europe, up the east coast.

He and Aunt-Tandem-Bicycle adopted my cousin Sweet-and-Shy from Russia last year. I can't think of anyone more cut out to be parents than these wonderful people. Seeing them with their daughter, the three of them so glowing and happy, makes me get all choked up.

And he's also the one who taught me to sing "Herman the Hanukah Candle" instead of "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" so I wouldn't offend elderly conservative aunties and uncles during candle-lighting time.

For all of you on this fourth night of Hanukah, here are the words:

Herman the Hanukah Candle
had a very shiny light
and if you ever saw it
you would even say it's bright.
All of the other candles
used to laugh and call him names
they never let poor Herman
join in any Hanukah games

Then one rainy Hanukah night,
the rabbi came to say,
"Herman with your light so bright
won't you be my shamash* tonight?"
Then how the candles loved him
And they shouted out with glee
"Herman the Hanukah candle
you'll go down in history!"








* the candle that's in the middle of the traditional menorah. On all menorahs it's placed on a higher spot than the rest. You light it first and then light the other candles with its flame.

9 comments:

Running2Ks said...

I love that. Happy Hanukkah again. May your menorah shine bright, and your voice ring out with holiday cheer :) I think this one's going to catch on!

ccw said...

He sounds like a very special man. How lucky for you to have such a great uncle.

I love the song! Happy Hanukkah!

Mrs. Coulter said...

OH MY GOD! I think I may sing that for my parents if they have to witness any nights of Hanukah next year...perhaps laughter will cut the ridiculousness.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I love your uncle.

halloweenlover said...

I love it! I've been singing the Bare Naked Ladies Hanukkah song every night as we light the candles! I'll have to add this to my repertoir. I love uncle tandem bicycle too! And I'm so glad they adopted!

purple_kangaroo said...

I love it! I am going to teach my kids that song.

mommy d said...

Very cute! I love it!

Phantom Scribbler said...

That is hilarious!!!

elswhere said...

What a great song! I'm going to sing it to MG tonight! Happy Chhhhanukah!