Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dani tagged me

Eight things??? EIGHT THINGS???

Alrighty.

  1. Got new glasses. Not sure I like 'em. MS and MM know they don't. But they were the least expensive frames in the store that day. Next time I'll shop around more. Maybe bring frames with me.
  2. It doesn't really matter, because I wear my contacts almost all the time anyway. I had to get new glasses for my fall classes because I'll be dissecting things again. All three of my fall classes involve dissection labs.
  3. Friday is a memorial for my uncle who died last month, so we're going up to NYC. MM is really super excited about having him some grandparent time.
  4. We're taking the train. Don't you love taking the train? Once, when I was pregnant with MM, we took the overnight train to Hilton Head to see my MIL. We had a roomette and everything. Even 6 months pregnant, I felt just too Cary Grant for words.
  5. I was talking with a friend about something on Tuesday and somehow Laurell K. Hamilton came up and she said she hadn't read any of those books herself but her daughters (12 & 14) had just started reading the Anita Blake series. So I said, "ummm...." And she said, "What?" And I said, "I don't know how you feel about your daughters reading explicit sexual material?" And she said, "WHAT???" And I said, "Well, the first 6 or so books are violent but not terribly sexual...after that, they get mighty steamy." And she said, "Well, I guess I'll have to read them first!"
  6. Which makes me wonder about what kind of mom I'm going to be for my future teenager. Will I be a "yes, you can read it...come to me with questions" mom? Or will I be a "I don't want you reading that until you're older" mom. Will I be okay with him reading the violent books? Will I be okay with him reading the sexy books?
  7. Speaking of books, we're reading The Wizard of Oz to MM. One chapter a night. Oz has just taken off in the balloon. MM is fascinated. He likes the movie better, but he loves that the book is different and more detailed. And that the book we're currently reading is different from the pop-up book we've also read. "The pop-up book doesn't have as many words because they needed to make room for all the pop-ups" is his explanation.
  8. Speaking of the WOO, I love what Oz says to the Cowardly Lion about the drink he gives him:
    "What is it?" asked the Lion.
    "Well," answered Oz, "if it were inside of you, it would be courage. You know, of course, that courage is always inside one; so this really cannot be called courage until you have swallowed it. Therefore I advise you to drink it as soon as possible."

7 comments:

Heather said...

So going on the wizard's premise...after we drink the alcohol, then it is able to be called courage? LOL....

Antropóloga said...

I think I will try to get myself to let her read whatever she wants. I read a lot of things that were Too Much for me but I think it just made me a more curious reader.

As for glasses, I recently got some (the cheapest in the store, too--children's actually!) and then ended up taking them back for various reasons. Hard to settle on something like that. And they are TOO expensive.

ccw said...

My mom let me read everything. I started reading Stephen King at a ridiculously young age. I also vividly remember doing the "we must, we must, we must increase our bust" exercise with my best friend.

I think books are like music at younger ages, kids don't really get it all. It's the adults who fret over the questionable content.

Can you return the glasses for new frames?

jenn said...

Hi. I miss you.

Hugs,
Jenn

Camera Obscura said...

Glasses. Sore point right now. I get contacts every year, but glasses about once every five to ten years. I use them only for getting between the bedroom and the bathroom, and in case of eye disease / injury where I can't wear my contacts. But I could really use a pair of bifocals now that I am forty-hmmmm (could have used them for several years now) and my distance 'scrip has changed some too. While I was getting Hubs and the bookends (#1-Son and Daughter) set up w/ new glasses this winter, I found a brilliant pair of frames that I wanted, wanted, wanted. But then I went and lost 15 lbs, all of it in the chest, it seems, and I felt it was a choice between glasses I could do without or bras that I really needed b/c the current ones were concave instead of convex when on my bod.

Jeebus. No, Daughter is 13 and I wouldn't let her anywhere near a Laurell Hamilton if I knew she wanted to. The gore, the infinite varieties of sex, the torture... um, just no.

Of course, Daughter's got the full share of my husband's family's "prude" genes -- she'd probably get to the first really, erm... "educational" scene and toss the book in the trash. Which I don't want her doing with my LKHs.

Sharon Shinn, now... she can read Sharon's stuff whenever she likes, and not just the YA stuff. I like all of Sharon's writing, (except maybe the Jane-Eyre-in-Space book) but then I like Sharon. I keep threatening to bring my entire collection of her stuff to Christmas Eve service to get her to sign it (she's a CEG, to her mother's dismay) but it's always such a crazy-making time that day that I forget. Besides, not exactly how one wants to spend one's holiday: "Hi, good to see you again, sign all these books, sorry they're not hard-covers, kthxbye."

DaniGirl said...

Ooo, so glad you played along!

I think I'll probably be a "read whatever you want, but you are absolutely forbidden to see that movie" type. Duplicitous, sure, and I'm okay with that.

Hmmm, I'll bet the boys would like WOO... thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I've wondered that about books, too. And for movies, I'm generally more unhappy about violence in movies than sex in movies, in terms of what Roger Ebert said about "Whale Rider" - that they made this movie an R for some extremely minor sexual content, when it is a perfect movie for teens, but they give PG-13s to hugely violent movies.

On visits with my father, I read books and saw movies that my mother definitely would not have approved of (Garp when I was in my early or mid-teens, An Officer and a Gentleman ditto). The books I could've waited on, frankly. The movie didn't bother me.

We have all the Oz books (my copies from when I was a kid, cycled through my cousins and now back to Jordi) if you'd like to borrow them when you finish WOO. We read all but Glinda a couple years ago and should probably read that one (it was one of my favorites). Very cool to hear Muffin Man's views on how they compare to the movie and pop-up. (One thing I like about Sabuda's pop-ups is that while they do expurgate, they don't change things. The language is the original, just cut down to less.)