Monday, January 12, 2009

We've signed the lease

We're taking possession on the 15th, but not actually moving any of our stuff probably until after MM's b-day on the 1st. We'll get the utils put in our names, change our drivers licenses (mine is due to expire soon anyhow), and register to vote and whatnot.

Then we'll actually move in February and that will be that.

Then we'll rent out our current house. I'm going to miss the garden. But we're not going to sell the house right now...certainly not in the current market! I will also miss several of our neighbors, though I expect to see them often.

MM will stay at the same school for the rest of the year. I'll drive him there on my way to work. Our section of the neighborhood is probably getting sent to a different school next year anyway, so I don't feel bad about switching him next year.

The townhouse we're renting is on the same side of the street as a playground, so MM will be able to walk or scoot there without a grownup right beside him the whole time.

I need to remember to ask about after-school options. I'd like to keep MM at PoshPlace for aftercare next year, but they don't pick up from the school we'll be zoned into. I need to ask if we can get him placed into one of the four schools they DO pick up from. If not, the zoned school is actually close enough to my job that I could pick him up and drop him off at PoshPlace (which is literally right around the corner from my office). But that might not always work what with meetings and such...

10 comments:

susan said...

exciting stuff! I wish you happy packing, and happy decluttering. Holler if you want any thoughts on moving inspired by our recent move, ok?

Madeleine said...

Dear god, woman, you've been coping with a lot. I'm highly impressed.

What will ThreeMinutesFromHome's new pseudonym be?

And, of course, good luck to your guy! I'll be rooting for him with all my faith in truth, justice, and the American way.

Liz Miller said...

ThreeMilesFromHome will be FourAndAHalfMilesFromHome (in the other direction).

Anonymous said...

Very very exciting!!
And glad to hear that ThreeMinutesFromHome will still be very close.

Anonymous said...

This is very exciting. i'll be rooting for all of you.

Anonymous said...

I am so out of it, I had no idea! How exciting, hope everything goes smoothly!

KLee said...

Boy, those commenters at the WaPo linked article sure are bitchy, aren't they?

Liz Miller said...

They sure are. But that's because they were big fans of MS's predecessor on the Board. In fact, one was an appointee to a powerful commission, and her appointment came to an end when MS won. So a few sour grapes is only to be expected.

Magpie said...

Good luck.

jenn said...

I don't think I knew this.. did I?