Thursday, January 08, 2009

To the tune of "What shall we do with the drunken sailor"

What shall we do for MM's birthday?
What shall we do for MM's birthday?
What shall we do for MM's birthday?
That isn't too expensive

Ooh! Hey! That's a doozy
Ooh! Hey! That's a doozy
Ooh! Hey! That's a doozy
For a kid with thirty buddies

Take a small group to go skating
Take a small group to go skating
Take a small group to go skating
But he has thirty buddies

Take a small group to build with Lego
Take a small group to build with Lego
Take a small group to build with Lego
But he has thirty buddies


We could take a small group to go swimming
We could take a small group to go swimming
We could take a small group to go swimming
But WOW, that's kinda pricey

Alas, the laser tag place went bankrupt
Alas, the laser tag place went bankrupt
Alas, the laser tag place went bankrupt
Oh! Hey! They re-opened! (higher prices tho)

We could do it in the house if I cleaned it
We could do it in the house if I cleaned it
We could do it in the house if I cleaned it
But, I'd have to clean up again after*

His birthday is in 3 weeks, so the park is out
His birthday is in 3 weeks, so the park is out
His birthday is in 3 weeks, so the park is out
Alas for winter birthdays

So, what shall we do for MM's birthday?
What shall we do for MM's birthday?
What shall we do for MM's birthday?
That isn't too expensive

11 comments:

Liz Miller said...

The Lego Store is out, they only do parties Monday through Thursday. Darn it!

Gary said...

I hear you about winter birthdays. Gerry's is next week and we have no idea what to do, other than the traditional family get-together and sending some cupcakes to school.

And forgive me, but I can't hear that song in my head without hearing the last line, which rhymes with "crave his cubic pears off".

KLee said...

Well, Offspring's birthday is tomorrow, and I had the same sort of dilemma.

Except that she's turning 13, and nothing is COOL enough to do anymore, and the few things that ARE cool are mind-blowingly expensive. So, we're taking 4 friends to ride unlimited go-karts for an hour and then a round of mini golf. The go karts are the fun part, and then I expect they'll whack each other with golf clubs for about half an hour. It was so much simpler when she was smaller.

Do you have a science museum? If so, do they do parties? What about an indoor play space? Like one with slides and ball pits and such? Check with local kid's gymnastics places -- they often have a humongous pit with foam blocks in it that the kids can hurl themselves into for an hour.

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas.

kathy a. said...

summer birthdays are easier, for sure. back in the olden days, we did parties for daughter at those indoor gym places, but most of them have closed around here. klee's idea about the science museum is brilliant -- *very* popular parties at such places! you know the kids will also be happy at your house, but the before/after cleanup festivities are good reasons to go almost anywhere else.

not to chuck ee choozits house of birthday hell, though. a couple hours in there with 30 kids, and you may as well reserve your padded room at the Home for Permanently Shellshocked Parents.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even KNOW the Lego store did parties! All of the parties AB has been invited to lately are the Place With All The Big Inflatables That Sounds Like an Elvis Costello Song (which is close to you but I'm guessing it's pricey).

Madeleine said...

And now I'm desperately trying to figure out which Elvis Costello song might sound like a place with giant inflatables.

I'll be back if I get any ideas. For the party, I mean.

susan said...

A party at the lego store sounds awfully cool. Too bad that won't work.

I'm trying to get my head around a party for 30 buddies! We usually have pretty lame, er, informal parties in our backyard. Do you have enough snow to have them do a snowman-building party? or sledding?

Madeleine said...

YMCA?

Liz Miller said...

Truly, I think we're gonna have to limit it to 10. And bring cupcakes to school and after-care.

Mummy/Crit said...

Yeah, I'm no help. All my suggestion were covered in your song - including laser tag, which is the new cool thing to do for your party for D'Arcy's 8 year old buddies. Not hellishly expensive either, but I wouldn't do it for 30. Our 30kids option was always party in the local park, but D's birthday is in Spring. E has a midwinter birthday, but it is conveniently near the long weeknd for the queen's birthdya when we're allowed to let off fireworks. Woot.
Limiting numbers is hard, but essential I think.

Sue said...

Eloquent as always, but I have zero clue. It's been way too long for me.